By Craig Regan
Excuse the cynicism. I'm sure his pain was real, but this afternoon's story about K-Fed going into an Australian hospital with chest pains while filming a celebrity weight loss program for the Nine Network is going to have a predictable media life cycle.
It’s going to run like this:
- Headlines in every newspaper overnight - and the Twittersphere goes into meltdown;
- Breathless updates ensue from breakfast TV celebrity commentators who have little or nothing in the way of facts;
- Live crosses from Mount Druitt Hospital are not out of the question and probably mandatory;
- Breakfast and morning radio hosts slam the story as a publicity stunt;
- Kyle Sandilands declares K Fed to be a "fat shit";
- All-day promos for a night time current affairs (term used loosely) interview from the hospital bedside – on Nine of course;
- Spoiler story runs on Seven because they don’t have the interview;
- TV nightly news stories run on almost every channel – especially on TEN where they have to fill an hour. ABC ignores it;
- The story turns into fodder for next week’s Gruen Transfer;
- Spin cycle starts again.